"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart."
We live in a multi-lingual globalised world and it is a big advantage to know more than one language. You will gain an awareness of other cultures, it helps our understanding and knowledge of our own language and it may even help you to progress in your career as well as being useful when you are on holiday!
MFL curriculum aims
The MFL curriculum at Hayfield School aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Become successful learners who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve
- Become confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- Become responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- Can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
KS3 Curriculum Information
All pupils will study French.
- Y7 talking about yourself and others/ school life/Sports and leisure/talking about where you live
- Y8 talking about holidays/technology and traditional media/talking about visiting Paris
- Y9 talking about relationships, talking about food and cooking/finding out about special occasions and events
KS4 Curriculum Information
Pupils will have the opportunity to continue with French to GCSE and may also have the chance to study Spanish.
Themes studied include Identity and Culture, Local, national and Global issues and the world of education and work.
Assessment is by examination and consists of 4 exams in Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing each carrying an equal weighting of 25%